graphics: White ribbon graphics with text. Graphic 1 reads: Blind Americans Equality Day Tobar 15 with 3d braille font. Graphic 2 reads: wear white initiative to support the blind and visually impaired October 15.
October 15 is Blind Americans Equality Day (Formerly White Cane Safety Day.). Below are some quick facts:
- White Cane Safety Day is an unofficial holiday in the United States and certain parts of the world. In the United States it is now called Blind Americans Equality Day.
- Celebrated on October 15 of each year since 1964.
- Set aside to recognize the achievements of people who are blind or visually impaired.
- The important symbol of blindness and tool of independence: The Long White Cane was the main focal point. Today all aspects of blindness (white cane, guide dog, braille, technology, education and advocacy) is celebrated.
- It is used as a way to educate advocate and bring awareness to the public on the topic of blindness.
- Signed into law on October 6, 1964: a joint resolution of the U.S. Congress-HR 753.
- This resolution authorized the President of the United States to proclaim October 15 of each year as “White Cane Safety Day.”. (Now Blind Americans Equality Day.)
- President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the first White Cane Safety Day proclamation within hours of the passage of the joint resolution.
- In 2011, White Cane Safety Day was renamed Blind Americans Equality Day by President Barack Obama.
- Remains largely unknown to the general public.
Where Can I Go For Information?
Where to go for events or Information on blindness or Blind Americans Equality Day? See the list below:
American Council of the Blind
American Foundation for the Blind
National Federation of the Blind
Blinded Veterans Association
Foundation Fighting Blindness
Lions Club International
While there are organizations out there that assist blind and visually impaired persons that welcome support such as donations, volunteering and membership. The above is only a short list. Be warned in advance these organizations use Blind AmericansEquality Day as a day for fundraising and membership recruitment. It is best to call in advance (or if lucky) even browse the website before attending events. If you go without researching the organization first, make sure you alert the chairperson hosting the event that you only are to participate in the event. If you would like to donate time or money—even become a member you can make that decision on site or at a later date. Always be polite and take some form of information with you (flyer, form or business card) so that if you do have questions or feedback someone can reach you. Most importantly have fun. The biggest complaint I always have (or hear) is lack of feedback. Feedback at these events are critical to organizations. They use this as a tool to see what people liked or disliked. What could be added or improved. Unless you the participant peak up no one will hear you. Remember these organizations rely on public interest to host these kinds of events so definitely check them out.
What to Expect
When I started out lions club handed out little white cane pins and all white candy canes with red tips. When I moved to the east coast organizations just did flyers, post cards and stickers. I even did a trifold on the white cane. Most Lions Clubs I assisted would hand out their white cane stickers and flyers in advance. When I joined American Council of the Blind my chapter did cane demonstrations. With the name changed from White Cane Safety Day to Blind Americans Equality Day organizations do different things. For me I simply do promotional graphics that are eye catching and easy to understand (instead of a flyer with text and no graphics). When I did Wear White Initiative graphic I wasn’t sure how people would react. I got compliments on my design. This year I updated the graphic as I moved the website to my personal server. I also was able to reuse the white ribbon to do up a second graphic (with the text: Blind Americans Equality Day) but with braille underneath. There are quite a few braille fonts but I can’t get enough of the 3D braille font. I do these graphics because I can’t get out to events often and most of my social media followers just share what media I have on my timeline.
Wear White Initiative
Wear White Initiative is strictly an awareness campaign to compliment Blind AmericansEquality Day. Simply either photograph yourself or a group of people wearing white. Or use the above graphics on social media, blogs or websites and use the hashtag #WearWhiteInitiative. The graphics at the top of the page and can be saved to computer or mobile device/tablet. For more info click/tap on the link in the links of interest.
Links of Interest:
Jessica’s Personal Website
Wear White Initiative
Today I heard Skillet’s song “Feel Invincible” on the radio when heading home frm the gym. I’m not gonna lie. I’m not into religion hands. I never heard of a genre called Christian Rock. I never thought Skillet would ever fit this categorfy. And what’s most shocking is that radio stations that air rock/metal with loads of censored vulgar language, violence and sex . Yet some how some way rrock stations sneak this band’s music over their air waves. And even more shocking fans of rock/metal are giving this band’s album respect (it is one of few that’s doing super well depending where you live) in sales. So when I heard this I had to sample the album. This band can be just as hard, loud, edgy and talented without the graphic language, violence or sex. The musical part of this album will blow your mind. Right out of the gate with “Feel Invincible” the music just grabs your attention right away. Granted tracks like “Watching for Comets” and “Lions” aren’t all that great lyric wise the music will keep you hooked until their last song “The Resistance” which has great guitar work at the end.
- “Feel Invincible”
- “Back From the Dead”
- “I Want to Live”
- “Out of Hell”
- “Burn it Down”
- “Watching for Comets”
- “Saviors of the World”
- “The Resistance”
- “Feel Invincible”
- “Back From the Dead”
- “I Want to Live”
- “Out of Hell”
- “Burn it Down”
- “The Resistance”
Star Rating & Review
5 out of 5 Stars
Totally worth it. Will I become a fan of Christian Rock? Provably not. But for those who are and are looking for new music or band, then o will recommend Skillet.
LOOK WHAT CAME!!!! This morning my free Hershey chocolate gift set arrived! I wasn’t expecting a massive s’mores kit. Makes 36 servings and comes with everything including chocolate, gram crackers and marshmallows.
I may have to take chocolate out of box and send it to the freezer because it came with ice packs to keep from melting. Will save for when I have company or family.
So how did I get a free gift? Hershey started a hashtag #SmoresFun on Twitter. I tweeted my camp story:
They selected mine and a few others to follow and private message them. One of those selected earlier got their chocolate surprise. So naturally I thought I’d get just milk chocolate. Then the box came and I finally got my surprise.
My sister bought a smaller similar kit and said they’re worth every penny. I highly suggest large kits for large gatherings and smaller kits for smaller gatherings. My mom would always cringe when my sister and cousins would crave s’mores. Simply because of our large crowd you had to buy things separately and in bulk. If you want a kit that includes everything these are totally worth it.
Cost: I wish I knew. I got this free. Incase you want to buy something like this you might have to buy online. Check with major retailers like Target or Walmart before looking on Amazon.
Even if no one doesn’t want s’mores they can eat the crackers, chocolates and use the marshmallows any way they want.
Definately thanked them for the tfree gift.
Sadly with brownie after a while they become hard as a rock. And with the brownies I reviewed into small pieces they were getting old. So I put them into an ice cream sundae. Actually tasted like a Dairy Queen ice cream cake minus the chocolate ice cream layer. Its easy to make and you can add your favorite ice cream flavor or toppings. While I didn’t use toppings if you want to use toppings its your choice.
You Will Need:
Thin Mint Brownie pieces
Vanilla ice cream
Thin Mint cookies
- If you haven’t already done so bake Review: Pillsbury Girl Scouts Thin Mint brownie mix into a square cake pan. Follow the instructions and tips on the back of the box. Cool and cut into small squares.
Once cool and have a crunchy texture prepare your sundae.
- In a bowl break up 2 brownies them with a spoon crush into small chunks.
- Using an ice cream scoop scoop out 2-3 scoops of vanilla ice cream. Scoops should cover crushed up brownies completely.
- Add your toppings. Use one or all items listed above or leave plain.
- Smash and swirl brownie chunks, ice cream and toppings. Or leave toppings on top of ice cream.
Serve and enjoy.
I was craving Pillsbury milk chocolate fudge brownies I made earlier this year. Sadly I couldn’t find the box mix in store. The closest I could get was Pillsbury’s Thin Mint Brownies. I was hoping to save for a rainy day but mom could not wait and got to the box before I could grab my brownie bar pan. If you need the recipe see the link list below.
I got the mix at Target. Just as simple to make and just as moist. I will warn you in advance these are rich so cut these in small squares. These don’t come with icing or added broken up cookies to top. These have flavoring in them. These also came out razor thin so if using a cake pan combine 2 boxes. This is why Oi use a 12 cell brownie bar pan as well as ice cream scoop to fill cavities.
They taste pretty good though. Actually tasted like thin mint cookies you would get from Girl Scouts each year. If you love mint mixed in dark chocolate you’ll love these.
Pillsbury also has a thin mint cup cake mix. If I make those I’ll try and review them. Had I known in advance these would come out thin I would’ve gotten a thing of vanilla ice cream to top since these aren’t iced. If Pillsbury continues thin mint cup cakes and brownies I’d like to see them add canned icing and sprinkles to compliment as some have to have (even want) icing. Also if they continue into next cookie season I’d even try with broken cookie bit on top. But regardless these are good with or without icing.
5 out of 5 stars. I was gonna give these a 4 star rating because of how thin they came but due to richness they’re the perfect size.
Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Brownie
Jell-o no bake cheesecake slice
Who loves cheesecake? Anyone? But who hates the fat that goes into it? If I have to choose between desert I’d go with that as chocolate cake can be overwhelmingly rich as stores and restaurants pack on too much frosting. Plus I don’t over consume cheese cake as its filling.
Today mom asked “How bout we take a rest day and bake a cheese cake?” When I saw a special on Food Network years ago (where the host baked a New York cheesecake from scratch) I about panic attacked because of the steps and process you gotta go through to do it. But while mom was mixing I read the box’s directions. Believe it or not this was super quick and easy to do. Plus it’s a no bake desert (meaning no need for an oven). And you can use what ever dairy products you wish. For this blog we used fat free so if you prefer low fat or regular dairy use what makes you feel comfortable using. I prefer fat free. Low fat or 2% dairy products if I’m making for a crowd other than family. I do want to warm you that this takes hours to firm up in the fridge. So my advice is to make it the night before so it has time to process and chill in the fridge (especially if you’re doing this for an event or party and time isn’t on your side).
You will need
1 box of Jell-o no bake cheesecake mix
Round or square sheet cake pan
12 tbsp. sugar
5 tbsp. margarine or butter (melted)
1-1/2 cups cold milk
- Stir Crust Mix, sugar and margarine in 9-inch pie plate until crumbs are evenly moistened. Press onto bottom and up side of pie plate.
- Pour milk into medium bowl. Add Filling Mix. Beat with mixer on low speed 30 sec., then beat on medium speed 3 min. (Filling will be thick.) Spoon into crust. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Dip pie plate, just to rim, in hot water 30 sec. for easy cutting and serving.
- Store in refrigerator.
- the box says not to use low fator soy mill. For best flavor, do not use prepared nonfat dry milk. Filling will have a soft set if made with soy milk. However if you want a low fat or fat free cake its your choice. it does taste. bit blamd using low fat or fat free milk but not too terrible.
- It says it only needs 1hr to firm in fridge. If you do from scratch recipes say closer to 5hrs. So let it chill in the afternoon if for yourself. But if for a party or event let chill over night.
- To serve I run a pie server in warm water them towel dry to cut through chilled cheesecake. It’ll be thick to cut through if straight from fridge. You can also dip the pan (up to its rim) in warm water before cutting but becomes annoying. I also use the warm soak knife trick on ice cream cakes and found it much easier. Just like ice cream cake if serving for multiple people you need to wipe down cake server before reinserting into cheesecake.
- Always use a non stick round or square sheet cake pan.
- You can do different bases but found honey maid gram crackers worked best.
- While this is a plain cheesecake that doesn’t mean toppings aren’t allowed. When completely chilled add your favorite topping to cake slices or onto the entire cake. If on entire cake check the back of the box for instructions. I leave the entire cake plain if serving for others. Simply because people have different tastes. So when guests get their servings they can opt to add their own toppings.
You might also like
Martha Stewart’s No-Bake Cheesecake Recipe
Emeril Lagasse’s New York Style Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
Strength Training for Runners Lift weights. Avoid injury. Run faster. Run longer. Run stronger.
- Leg press
- Hamstring curls
- Calf raises
- Wall sits
HIPS & GLUTES
- Side leg raises
- Single leg toe touches
- Glute bridges
- Russian twists
- Bicycle crunches
- Scissor legs
ARMS & BACK
- Shoulder press
- Bicep curl
- Tricep dips
- Chest press
I think there are more but this graphic lists I think the basics. Do what you feel comfortable with. Need help? Ask a certified trainer. Extracted text from graphic.